Rodi Moving & Storage Miami 9385 NW 101 St. Miami, FL 33178 305.863.9005
Once you know you’re going to move, one of your first tasks will be to choose a moving company. You’ll want to interview at least three companies. Here are questions to ask when choosing your household moving company.
Questions About the Company
You’ll want to research the company online and then ask several questions during the interview to learn about the company’s track record and reputation. Examples of questions to ask are:
- How long have you been in business?
- Is your company licensed and accredited? (Companies that make interstate moves should be licensed through the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. In addition, every company should have an MC number and a US Department of Transportation number.)
- Do you hire full-time, part-time, or seasonal workers? Are all the workers employees, or are some contractors?
- How do you conduct background checks on your workers?
- How do you train your workers?
- Does worker’s compensation insurance cover your workers?
- Describe your experience with moves similar to mine.
- Can you provide references from people whose moves are similar to mine?
- Do you assemble and disassemble furniture?
Questions about Cost
The mover should come to your home or conduct a virtual survey to provide a cost estimate. Understanding the estimate is critical to choosing the right mover and following your budget. Here are questions to ask to clarify cost information.
- Is this a binding or nonbinding quote?
- Are there any additional fees that are not included in the quote?
- How do you charge? Is it by weight? The number of hours required? Distance? Workforce?
- Is there anything that might add to my costs, such as stairs, additional travel time, or parking fees?
- Do you offer discounts for special groups such as the military, senior citizens, or AAA?
- Will you pack for me? How much does packing cost?
- Will you supply me with boxes if I do the packing?
- How much deposit do you require?
- What are the payment options for the deposit and the move? Most reputable movers accept credit cards and checks. However, a mover that only takes cash may be a red flag.
- Do I receive a discount for paying cash?
- What is your policy on cancelation?
- What type of insurance do you include in the cost?
- What type of paper documentation will I receive?
Questions About the Move
After you’ve gathered information about the company and its pricing structures, you’ll want to get down to the logistics of the move. Here are examples of questions you might ask.
- Do you guarantee pickup and delivery times?
- What happens if my goods arrive before I do?
- Do you offer shipment tracking?
- Can you handle heavy or awkward items, and if so, is there an extra fee? Examples of heavy or awkward items that require particular expertise and might incur a fee are pianos, hot tubs, oil paintings, and pool tables.
- How much total time will the move require?
- What items will you not transport?
- What preparations will I need to make before the moving van arrives?
- What happens in the case of inclement and dangerous weather?
Asking the right questions will ensure you have all the information you need to choose your mover. Contact us today. We aim to make every move as smooth as possible for our customers.